Common Law Seperation

The term “Common Law” is no longer used in British Columbia as a legal term. The term used is a “Marriage-like Relationship.”

If the relationship qualifies as a “marriage-like relationship,” the parties are each entitled to division of family property, spousal support, and child support.

In order to qualify as a “marriage-like relationship,” the Family Law Act requires that matters such as whether the parties (including same sex couples) lived under the same roof, sexual and personal behaviour, social and community activities, economic support, and children will all be considered.